Thursday, February 10, 2011

I need Shampoo.

     I tried to stick to my crunchy 'no poo' in my hair experiment, but after a week I was not a huge fan of how my hair was looking.  Within 2 washes with baking soda and vinegar my hair was getting obnoxiously dry. I tried spraying a very small amount of manoi oil into my hair, which left it feeling silky smooth all night.  But when I brushed it the next morning you would have thought I hadn't showered in days.  I could feel how greasy it was and when I brushed it in the mirror it would stay however I left it.  Gross.  I tried washing the oils out in a hurry before work and was still left with residue filled locks.  I was forced to wear my hair in two french braids tied into a knot in the back of my head for the day.  While I have always loved my manoi oil for anything from making my skin look great before wearing a dress, to treating my hair after being a bit hard on it some weeks, you NEED shampoo to wash that stuff out the first time.

     I noticed my color getting dull and redyed it.  Now I was truly hesitant after dying my hair to use only baking soda, so I went ahead and used my crap Aussie to rinse the color out.  My hair the next day was fantastic! During the next wash I went back to my homemade concoction.  My hair was flat and lifeless the next day with frizz at every brush stroke and my new color already looked dull.  I tried once more and that was the end of it.  This time I said eff it and used some hair product, paul mitchell shine serum.  Even that was not enough to save my now miserable hair.  My solution was to go out and find a better shampoo that I wouldn't feel as guilty about, but wouldn't have to look like a dirty hippy either.  Don't get me wrong, I love getting dirty, and adore most things 'hippy' but I do not want to look like a combination of the two.


     I read some reviews of products online and headed to the store.  I ended up settling on Organix hair products.  The bottles are made from recycled material, the ink on the labels is made from recycled material, the labels are even compost-able and they do no animal testing ( not like many other brands that just say the final product was not tested on animals.)  Not to mention they smell delicious!  I'm not sure what the effect on my color will be, time will tell.  But my hair this morning is behaving very well, grateful for something better.

   I do not pretend to know a damn thing about hair, and probably way less about hair products.  All I know is baking products have no place on my head.

1 comment:

  1. I have to know How did you like this shampoo? i have their Hydrating TeaTree Mint shampoo & the conditioner and i HATE it! my hair was a terrible dry knotted mess! i was totally disappointed but like you i like that it is not at all tested on animals and organic so i'm wondering if it is the brand or just the teatree mint. Let me know ;)

    ReplyDelete